Friday, July 1, 2011

The Horde? Not so much




I'm not sure that I'm really over zombies, fellow shadows, but The Horde for sure didn't do it for me. I usually love the French horror aesthetic, and have no issues reading subtitles, but this movie just came across as a cluttered mess.



This is a movie of disposable characters. No one had an arc, no one had any motivation, and frankly, I couldn't bring myself to be interested in anything but the very occasional quip. The zombies were nearly non-existent, appearing mostly out of the shadows, and occasionally getting shot with what seemed to be a never ending supply of guns. Normally, I like not seeing my monsters - I like the creeping, skulking invisibility, and my own ability to project my nightmares on the creation. In this case, though, when you title your movie The Horde, your horde should be a pretty main element in your story. In this case, there wasn't much tension at all, and without any compelling characters, or much gore, it was a bit of a snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment